Feed Article

ExecutionTime == 181.8068 milliseconds OR 0.1818068 seconds
  • Indicted Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom's new Mega site struggles to cope with mega demand

    By

    Published 01/22/2013 00:59:27
    Indicted Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom's new Mega site struggles to cope with mega demand
    FILE - In this Feb. 22, 2012 file photo, Kim Dotcom, the founder of the file-sharing website Megaupload, comments after he was granted bail and released in Auckland, New Zealand. Indicted Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has launched a new file-sharing website in a defiant move against the U.S. prosecutors who accuse him of facilitating massive online piracy. The colorful entrepreneur unveiled the "Mega" site ahead of a lavish gala and press conference planned at his New Zealand mansion on Sunday night, Jan. 20, 2013. (AP Photo/New Zealand Herald, Brett Phibbs, File) NEW ZEALAND OUT, AUSTRALIA OUT

    SYDNEY - Indicted Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom admits his new file-sharing site is struggling to keep up with massive demand.

    Dotcom launched the "Mega" site with a lavish party on Sunday, the anniversary of his arrest on racketeering charges related to his now-shuttered Megaupload. Dotcom says 500,000 users registered for Mega within 14 hours.

    On Tuesday, Dotcom apologized on Twitter for "poor service" and said the launch party — which featured a reenactment of last year's police raid on his mansion — led to huge publicity and huge demand.

    Dotcom tweeted: "Lesson learned... No fancy launch event for Megabox."

    Dotcom plans to launch his Megabox music service in about six months.

    U.S. prosecutors accuse Dotcom of facilitating massive online piracy with Megaupload.

    Dotcom says he's innocent and remains free on bail.

    blog comments powered by Disqus